Pages

Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Monday, November 15, 2010

I Should Have Watched Destinos More

"¿Donde está la biblioteca?"

Sorry, just practicing.

According to our supremely talented Placement Officer (she got us accepted after all,) we're going to be speaking Spanish for the next few years.

In February, we're shipping off to someplace south of Texas.  Where the food is hot, the women hotter, and the tequila ice, ice cold.  Not that I like tequila.  But a cerveza fria would not be a shame every now and then.

And there you have it peoples.  The extent and total knowledge of my four years of educational Spanish.  It's amazing what you remember:
 

  • Library
  • Beer
  • Cold

My Spanish teachers would be so proud.  Makes my college graduation joke of - "Hey mom, I got a D in Spanish.  It stands for diploma" - even funnier.  Hopefully, retention on this go around will be easier seeing as how we'll actually be using the language.

And I won't have to watch Destinos.  Which I never did - hence the D.

Anywho - needless to say, the wifey is ecstatic.  Random Spanish words, things we can do, and the ubiquitous :) have dotted my GMail chat throughout the day.

And I am excited as well.  Though I'm practicing my machismo by not acting excited.

In a gracious act of full disclosure, I will say that I'm a tad disappointed about not going somewhere colder.  I like cold places.  Mongolia would have been nice.  Or Ukraine.

But what can you do.

I'll just have to learn to live with the heat.  It'll be like living in Texas all over again - though my current beard may be the first intentional victim of this future crusade.

So off to either: Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras, Paraguay, Ecuador, or Guyana .  We'll know specifics in a few more days.

Adios till then.  (HAH! There's another!)


P.S.  I was just informed that I'll get to take my boots with me - something that had been frowned upon until now (apparently, leather rots - who knew.)  And that makes me supremely happy (the boots, not the rot.)  I like my boots.


-Jacob

6 comments:

  1. YAY!!!! Congrats!!
    --- Sara and Matthew Valerius

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa!!!! Congrats - we're going to miss you both so much though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited for the both of you! And thrilled that the waiting game is finally over!!! Can't wait to hear where you end up going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best phrase I ever learned in Spanish... "habla mas despacio por favor, yo soy americana".
    -Katie
    (oh yeah, and...good luck! looking forward to visiting you guys during the cold New York winters!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there Roberts,
    First of all, congratulations!

    I found your blog a few weeks ago while freaking out about mine and my husband's application/ nomination timeline, trying to find out if our experience was normal. Turns out, our situation is pretty similar to yours. My husband and I were also invited on November 15th for a program leaving in February for someplace south of Texas. What are the odds, huh? Maybe we'll be at the same staging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Meghan, and congrats to you, too! Let us know where you end up, and we'll do the same.
    Just like you, we've been going crazy waiting for the invite, glad it's finally on its way.
    Maybe we'll meet in February!
    All the best,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete