Pages

Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Monday, October 25, 2010

Almost...

Where in the world will we live in 3-5 months? The answer is... we have absolutely no clue!!!

It's only been 5 days since we had our final interview with our Placement Officer, yet these five days seem to be the worst! I have no nails left, and I think my email account is plotting revenge for the constant refreshing. The entire application process is always longer for couples, and I consider myself a very patient person, but the anticipation is making me nuts. My husband is a whole other animal... His patience is limitless, and frankly it's a bit annoying: "It'll be fine," constant words of reassurance that I'm sure I will appreciate more while in the Peace Corps :)

One hiccup is that I had already donated most of our winter clothes... we were originally nominated for the Pacific Islands leaving this October and parkas and wool just didn't sound optimal for the South Pacific (oops!). Now with a good old NYC winter coming along... hind sight is definitely 20/20.

Our PO said it could be two days or two weeks before a host country gets back to the Placement Office with approval for a couple, and apparently this is normal. The host country must have 2 spots in both applicant fields of service, both needed in the same village... ah! Because we missed our original departure (still not sure why, but c'est la vie) they're looking at ALL regions between January and March. It's a peculiar situation, and I haven't seen many couples in our shoes. At least we've gotten this far... Here's hoping for the final "Application Status Update" very soon.


3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your "final" phone call! Well, final being relative because differing governing municipalities tend to daddle on these things, huh? I just received my final email from Placement requesting an updated resume, so hopefully it won't be too much longer for me! Good luck on you imminent placement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Patience and flexibility" are words to live by when in the final stages of the application process :) Good luck to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an amazing adventure! Hope y'all get an incredible placement and I can't wait to read all about it!

    ReplyDelete