Pages

Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Honduras Wins Again...

"Honduras wins again" is a phrase we PCVs love to use when, for whatever reason; be it that Hondurans will only come to meetings when snacks are involved (and PCVs don't have funding for snacks guys, sorry), a meeting that was pressed upon you to start at 8am maaaaybe starts at 10am (when the snacks arrive), or the mayor of your town storms out of a medical brigade because he wasn't properly depicted in a construction paper mural which causes general chaos, etc... (all personal experiences).

For whatever reason, we use this phrase to help us cope with the differences that exist between our world here, and the world we are used to at home. Just as "fijese que" used to sound like nails grinding on a chalk board, it now only brings a general eye-roll (fijese que basically means "The thing is..." followed by a lousy excuse about something that should have happened, but clearly won't be happening now). When these events happen, we are now pretty used to them, and the matter can be summed up in 3 little words. Honduras wins again.

People often ask me what my day is like as a PCV. Every day is different. I don't have an office let alone a desk at my counterpart agency, so I work alot from home. But, I try to make it into the office a few times a week to see where I can be of assistance on various projects. Between the Family Health Initiative, my work with the local daycare, my youth group of girls and nutrition classes, I'm rather swamped.

I certainly don't want to use this blog as an outlet for frustration, and I hope no one sees it that way. But, I thought I would share some of the set backs that come with progress and development. It's never a straight line froward, but one that ebbs and flows, moving ever so slowly in the right direction.

On Sunday, Jacob and I returned from a wonderful and much needed vacation in Belize with my parents. I saw Sandra (my counterpart) on Monday, and she asked if I could assist with a baby weighing and nutrition project happening in a nearby village today. Of course I'll help! I've been rather busy lately with the Family Health Manual and finishing up a gallinera (chicken coop) proposal and haven't been able to venture out with my counterpart much, so this seemed like a great opportunity.

This morning I get to the office at 8am and everyone is leaving to go to an NGO meeting outside of town... Hmmm.

"Aren't we going to the village to weigh babies???
-Oh, Sandra said you could go by yourself (she hasn't made it into the office yet).
-Umm, no. You know I don't walk to villages by myself. Let's call her and see what her plans are for the day."

I never walk to villages by myself for security reasons, no matter what the event is or how close it may be, and I made that very clear after a few attempts by my counterpart agency to leave me in villages alone. Jacob will sometimes travel with me as a last resort, but I hate to take him away from his own work. Anyway, we call her and she tells me that 2 nurses and a doctor are going too... go to the Health Center and there should be a car waiting for you all. Great!

(enter nurses' station)
"Hey, Tavo, are you guys going to weigh babies today?
-Fijese que, no hay transporte. (The thing is, there's no transportation.)
-Why not?
-The mayor is using the vehicle and said he didn't have to time pick us up (He was going to the same village for the same reason).
-Oh. Can't we walk there together? It's not too far...
-The doctor and nurses don't want to walk.
-Oh (internal eye-roll). Well, give me a call if anyone changes their mind.

And, by 8:45 am I am back home. Honduras wins again. I have no idea who is going to weigh babies now or if the nutrition presentation will happen, which was planned in one of the most malnourished villages I know. But, one thing is for sure... they will get their snack.

Thankfully, I still have plenty of work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment