Pages

Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Friday, March 18, 2011

Training and Pics!

So, I've decided that public transportation in Honduras is much like New York... hardly anyone speaks English, it's incredibly overcrowded, the transport is old, and someone is always blaring Mariachi or the 80's. It's kind of nice :) We had a training session today entitled, "How not to get lost in Teguz" (basically) and had to take various forms of transport into and throughout the capitol.... mission accomplished.

Also, I now know where all of the school buses from the States go when they are sent out to pasture, and I'm just waiting to see one that says Tyler ISD on the side.

Training is going pretty well, but will really kick into full gear when we leave for Field Based Training next week. I used a machete to help clear a small field for a family garden last week... hopefully the first of many :)

Anyway, Jacob and I both have come to love a few Honduran foods: Baleadas, are amazing! Deceivingly simple, they're basically refried beans, mantequilla (which translates as butter, but it's nothing like the butter in the States... will do some research on its makeup; although I might be less inclined to eat so much of it if I know exactly what it is), and the best flour/wheat tortillas ever. A result of this long endeavor is that I will never be able to eat grocery store bought tortillas again.

Also, tiny green mangos... nom, nom, nom!

Oh, and I've never eaten scrambled eggs laden with flowers, but our host family loves Flor de Izote (national flower of El Salvador) boiled and prepared with eggs, cheese, chillies, etc... Pretty tasty.
Can't seem to get into quesadillas with Ketchup though, but to each her own, eh?

In other news, we made a trip to another small town close by last weekend and saw this on the way in, which made me smile:


Also, a few pics of the spot where we had some after lunch coffee... It isn't exactly what I pictured when I imagined sacrificing 27 months in Peace Corps, but I'm definitely not complaining :)




I think that's about it, I'll leave you with some photos of our ride into town everyday for training. Miss you guys!



1 comment:

  1. ahhh! hahaha your photos gave me chills! it genuinely looks like paradise. you two are such special people and i'm so pleased to see that you're happy and settling in nicely. :)

    ReplyDelete