Pages

Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Honduras: The Texas of Central America

Honduras.

I've realized in the two days since receiving our invitation that I know nothing about the country. My knowledge consisted of:

1) That place that Reagan sent Iranians to play Contra.
2) They had a bloodless coup awhile ago.

On further research, I've realized that #1 is wrong. The Persian, video-game players were in Nicaragua. I should have known that.

But the coup thing is true. Everything I've read has said that it wasn't a big deal. Nobody was hurt. The army just stripped the President from his bed and shipped him off to Costa Rica. No harm, no foul. After all, he only wanted to lift Presidential term limits.

A happy coup then.

And everything is all hunky-dory now. Nothing to fear.

Except for the crime, murder and everything else that can happen in an underdeveloped nation.

Okay - so my research to this point has stemmed around the seedier parts and history of the country.

And that's understandable in my mind. I like to know what I'm getting into. Always know where you're going, and where the back entrance is. Situational awareness.

But aside from all the bad press, Honduras also has quite a bit to offer.

The first being that they actually need us there. In particular, I'm excited about the business work that I'll be doing. Sustainable business models, business incubation, and working with their tourist traps (I imagine ecotourism - the trappiest of them all) is definitely needed. In some ways I think - naively I'm sure - that my efforts will help Honduras reach where Costa Rica, the darling of Central America, is now. And that makes me happy. Seeing as how Costa Rica was damn nice when we went - granted we went to the richer parts, but let's not split hairs.

Second in my mind is the country itself. The geography and people. Mountains, plains, beaches, rain forests, maybe a desert here and there. This place has it all.

Plus - from what I've read - there's a cattle area that reminds me eerily of west Texas. Flat, hot and there's cows everywhere.

Also, everyone walks around in large hats and cowboy boots.

Oh - and everyone has a gun. And speaks Spanish.

So it'll be just like Texas.

We're not moving away! We're possibly moving home!


- Jacob

No comments:

Post a Comment